Working in close collaboration with and utilizing the support of the Web Committee, has final responsibility for overseeing visual design, functionality, and content creation on the Music Library Association’s web presence comprising several components including a content management system and wikis. Ensures that the Association’s web site is attractive, accurate, functional, and current. Advises the Board on web tools for the Association’s use (such as wikis, online document sharing, web conferencing, blogs, and other social media). As an ex officio member of the Web Committee, works closely with the Chair in promoting and maintaining web-based tools for collaboration and administration.
The Web Manager will:
- Serve as an ex officio member of the Web Committee.
- Delegate responsibility for ensuring web site content is updated in a regular and timely manner. Resolve questions of content and style.
- Administer MLA’s content management system, LAMP server, and Google Apps For Your Domain.
- Provide leadership and direction for and manage further development of the web site, both inside and outside the content management system, working internally with the Web Committee and also with external developers.
- Identify new technologies and services that may assist MLA and its committees and other groups in performing the core work of the Association.
- Manage the deployment and maintenance of systems for internal collaborative workspaces and tools for MLA and its Administrative Structure.
- Promote and advise in the use of web-based collaborative workspaces and tools.
- Ensure that security protocols are in place and that security software is kept up to date.
- Manage the budgetary requirements of the web site, including maintenance and renewal of web hosting service, domain name service, and web developer and content management systems.
- Prepare reports for the MLA Board as requested.
- Demonstrated experience creating well-designed, content-rich web sites
- Experience with XHTML, CSS, and web content management systems
- Knowledge of and interest in keeping up with web design trends
- Proven skills in leadership, including the ability to work tactfully toward resolution of problems independently and as a member of a team
- Organizational skills and ability to delegate, attention to detail, and enthusiasm for problem-solving; ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to collaborate and work well with a wide variety of constituencies, including content authors, committee chairs, and the MLA Board
- Familiarity with the Music Library Association and its membership; understanding of MLA’s goals and the role of the web presence in realizing those goals
- Previous experience working with web hosting and domain name services
Initial appointment is one year, with reappointment possible up to a total of four years.
Honorarium: The Web Manager receives an honorarium, currently set at $1,200.00 per year or $300.00 per quarter. The Web Manager also receives gratis MLA regular membership and MLA annual meeting early regular member registration during years in which they serve.