Position Title: Time-Based Media Metadata Librarian (Temporary Appointment)
Department: 2202- LIB Bibliographic Svc & Col De
Department Number: 2202-302
The Columbia University Libraries seek a Time-Based Media Metadata Librarian to provide original metadata creation, application, and maintenance for a variety of time-based media projects (audio and video) primarily from the Columbia Center for Oral History Archive (CCOH) and to provide metadata remediation for legacy time-based media digital projects. Reporting to the Metadata Coordinator, the incumbent creates metadata to manage, preserve, and provide access to time-based media digital content for Columbia’s online catalog CLIO and for ingest into the local Hyacinth metadata editor and Fedora. This includes conducting consultations, creating and maintaining documentation, data analysis, quality control, and data transformation. The Librarian works across the organization to ensure and coordinate integration of digital metadata with local and national systems and provide remediation of already digitized items. This includes editing, restructuring, adding subject and geographic access points, relationship designators, reconciling against external authorities, merging and manipulating spreadsheets, and/or updating MARC records.
This is a full-time temporary position ending on June 30, 2019 with possibility of extension.
As one of the world’s leading research universities, Columbia University in the City of New York provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a dynamic, multicultural, intellectual community. The Columbia University Libraries are comprised of a diverse and engaged staff committed to furthering the University’s teaching and research mission through innovation, collaboration, and a commitment to excellence. Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.
Minimum Degree Required: MLS or PhD or equivalent
All applicants MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered for the position.
– MLS or advanced degree in relevant field
– Ability to use technology creatively to continually improve processes that support data provision, data quality, data transformation, and long-term data management
– Ability to create MARC and non-MARC records for time-based media and experience in providing technical services support for academic repositories and quality control for diverse projects
– Working knowledge of XML/XSLT/XQuery, RDF and other metadata standards, tools and systems.
– Experience in non-MARC metadata creation and curation
– Commitment to supporting and working with diverse populations
– Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, and project management skills
– Aptitude for complex, analytical and detailed work
– Project management experience and ability to work across teams
– Working knowledge of identities management systems, including ORCID, VIAF/ISNI
– Experience in subject analysis, name authority work, and disambiguation strategies
– Experience with oral history and/or music cataloging
Posting Date: 04-27-2018
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Proposed Start Date: 07-01-2018
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.