The Music Library Association is seeking an MLA member to fill the
position of Placement Officer effective upon MLA Board approval (no
later than February 25, 2017). The application deadline is January 27, 2017, and interviews for final candidates will be held February 23-24, 2017 at the MLA Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL.
The MLA Placement Officer manages the Association’s job placement services:
- compile information about available positions for the online Job
List from: 1) human resources personnel and institutional
representatives; 2) announcements in the professional literature and
in newspapers; and 3) advertisements found through library-specific
employment services and websites.
- correspond with employers and agencies in an effort to encourage
them to list open positions with the MLA Placement Service.
- serve as liaison to those institutions submitting direct requests to
post positions with the MLA Placement Service.
- input all new job advertisements in MLA’s content management system
to post on the MLA website in the “Current Openings” section of the
Placement Services webpage.
- follow up with hiring institutions to post successful hires in the
“Positions Recently Filled” section of the Placement Services webpage.
- manage Placement Office services at the MLA Annual Meeting,
including scheduling the Interview Room, staffing the Placement Desk,
and attending appropriate events in order to keep attendees informed
about the various services and programs available to them.
- liaise with other MLA Career Services that share the table at the MLA Annual Meeting.
- serve as ex officio to the Career Development and Services Committee.
- complete projects related to the Placement Service as directed by
the MLA Board.
- membership in MLA;
- access to Word processing software, the internet, and phone;
- familiarity with the literature on qualifications for music librarianship;
- strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- experience with an enterprise-level content management system;
- editing experience/skills;
- clear communication and strong interpersonal skills;
- experience as a member of search/screening committees;
- demonstrated interest in employment issues relating to librarianship
(e.g. membership in career services or personnel committees, MLA
Résumé Reviewer, etc.).
The duration of appointment is one year, with reappointment possible
for a total of four years. The Board reviews the performance of the
Placement Officer annually. The President reappoints upon successful
review and the desire of the incumbent to continue.
The Placement Officer receives gratis MLA regular membership and MLA Annual Meeting early-regular-member registration.