Under the direction of the Music Technical Services Librarian, the Ethnic American Music Coordinator collaborates with the Music Library and the Center for the Study of Upper Midwest Cultures in grant related activites that focus on sustaining Scandinavian folk arts in the Upper Midwest. Specifically, this position will prepare historic audio for digital reformatting, conduct research on recording session details, enter and create metadata, and organize and arrange mixed media archival and medal collections.
This position has guaranteed funding for 3 years. The position will continue if new funding becomes available.
Degrees and Area of Specialization
- Master’s degree in related field, such as folklore, library science, ethnomusicology required.
- One to two years’ experience with obsolete audio formats, including digital reformatting
- Experience with basic preservation practices
- Strong competence in a modern Scandinavian language
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Familiarity with Excel, Access, FileMaker Pro or other database software
- Ability to work independently
- Experience processing archival or manuscript collections
- Experience with folklore or music related archival collections
- Knowledge of folklore or folk music as demonstrated through education, performance or research.