Alexander Street Press is an award-winning publisher of electronic databases and collections in the humanities, located in Alexandria, VA, recognized by our customers and peers for producing products of outstanding quality. We see understanding customer needs and delivering high quality and innovative products as the root of our success.
We have an immediate opening for a full-time cataloging contractor to create MARC and non-MARC metadata for our online videos, documents, recordings, and scores. Our digital collections cover a wide range of disciplines that include music, science, history, and engineering. The cataloger will follow AACR2 content rules and use Classification Web to find authorized name and subject terms. The cataloger will also search WorldCat to find matching records for our content. Additionally, the cataloger will work as an indexer for creating non-MARC metadata using a proprietary schema.
This is a full-time contract position and requires working on-site at our Alexandria, Virginia office.
• Experience cataloging using MARC format following AACR2 standards.
• Experience with LC authorities.
• Ability to work 40 hours per week.
• Be able to work on-site.
• Experience with music cataloging, or background in Classical music.
• Completed a course in cataloging.
• Cataloger’s familiarity with European languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Portuguese), highly desirable. This means a practical cataloging familiarity, not a full reading or speaking knowledge: ability to recognize the different languages, recognizing words representing articles (A, An, The equivalents) and numbers, recognition of acceptable diacritics for the language, etc.
• Experience with MarcEdit and Marc Report software.
• Ability to work with a computer continuously for long hours.