The Walter Gerboth Research Award was founded in 1984 by the Music Library Association to honor Past-President Walter Gerboth, librarian, teacher, mentor, leader in the Music Library Association, and pathmaker in music librarianship. The Walter Gerboth Award enables MLA to recognize promising work by its newer members (a group to which Walter Gerboth gave special encouragement) and new researchers, to support scholarship in music, music bibliography and librarianship, and to honor the memory of one of MLA’s most distinguished and loved members. Preference will be given to newer MLA members (within your first decade), as well as to MLA members regardless of length of service who are new to research.
If an award is offered, applicants must be MLA members in good standing in order to accept.
An award of up to $1,000 is available for 2021. Applications are being accepted until August 28, 2020 for the 2021 Gerboth Award.
Applicants should be prepared to submit the following with their initial application:
- A summary of the project including a statement about its significance, progress made thus far, future plans, and details about how requested funds will be used
- A detailed total budget, specifying the amount of funding requested from MLA (up to the award maximum) and its purpose. Indicate any other sources of funding you may have already secured.
- Two letters of recommendation written by two different people—
- One letter recommending the project
- One letter recommending the researcher (yourself)
- A curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for two additional references (in addition to the letters provided)
Recipients will be notified in advance of the registration deadline for the MLA 2020 meeting. If you have any questions about the award or applicant eligibility, please ask any member of the committee:
Joe Clark jclark88 at kent . edu
Nara Newcomer newcomern at umkc . edu
Lina Sheahan lina.sheahan at belmont . edu
Apply online at https://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/page/GerbothAwardApply by August 28, 2020.