Western Kentucky University (WKU) seeks applications for the position of Assistant Professor in the Department of Library Technical Services. This is a 10-month tenure-track faculty position reporting to the Department Head of Library Technical Services (DLTS) which is composed of Continuing Resources, Bibliographic Access, Acquisitions/Collection Services, Integrated Library Systems, and Student Personnel. DLTS is responsible for acquiring, organizing, cataloging, and providing access to books, serials, non-print items, and electronic resources, and for binding and preserving materials for extended use in the collection. WKU Libraries currently uses the Voyager integrated library system. Anticipated starting date is January 1, 2015.
Responsibilities include: original and complex copy cataloging and classification of materials in special formats including; but not limited to, electronic books, videos, sound recordings, maps, atlases, and sheet music in all subject areas, shared responsibility for foreign language materials and authority file maintenance; participation in special cataloging projects as needed, teaching, research/creativity activity, and university/public service as outlined in the university, college, and department criteria for faculty rank and promotion.
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from a program accredited by the American Library Association
- Knowledge of LC subject headings and classification, AACR2, RDA, Metadata schemas, authority control, and MARC formats
- Reading knowledge of a foreign language
- Cataloging experience
- Working knowledge of OCLC and an integrated library system
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, staff, and students
For more information about our department, see our web site at: http://www.wku.edu/library/dlts/index.php