The Arthur Mendel Music Library seeks an energetic, highly experienced, and service-oriented person to manage all aspects of public services, including supervising 20-25 circulation services students; to oversee interlibrary services in the Music Library; to manage the processing of newly received materials in all formats; to assist with reference and research services; and to coordinate facility maintenance and library security.
Supervises the collection/processing and electronic services areas in the absence of their supervisors, and manages the Music Library when they are the only staff member on duty.
Provides leadership for student workers, interprets and enforces library policies, monitors computers, imaging, and sound/video playback equipment, and provides basic technical assistance to patrons.
Answers queries about the library’s materials, electronic resources, and services, and assists the Music Librarian in maintaining LibGuides and preparing quick-answer tools for patron guidance and education.
Manages supply orders, facility requests, and assists with collection development by processing firm orders for scores, CDs, and DVDs, and assists in other special projects as needed.
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize, be highly productive, solve problems, and perform sustained and accurate detail work at a computer and with print materials. Proven, outstanding skills and recent and relevant experience in managing several student employees or staff and the multiple tasks they perform.
- Ability to work with a diverse constituency and to enforce policies with tact and professionalism. Affinity for teamwork, leadership, and to be flexible and resourceful in a busy, public, and fast-paced environment.
- Exemplary ability to communicate, negotiate, and cooperate effectively with undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, the campus and general public, and colleagues across numerous departments, both verbally and in writing.
- Expertise and recent experience in operating the circulation module of an integrated library system. Proficiency with desktop productivity software, scanning equipment, and Web-authoring tools, and basic knowledge of computer hardware, printers, and sound and video playback equipment. Aptitude and recent experience working with bibliographic citations and descriptive detail in several languages, and relevant experience searching online catalogs and databases.
- Ability to read music, fluency with the common formats of published and recorded music, and relevant knowledge of at least one of the performing arts disciplines.
- Reading knowledge of one foreign language relevant to the Mendel Music Library.
- Bachelor’s degree with academic work in the humanities.
- Minimum two years of experience in an academic, research, or special library, or a public library with a strong research collection.
- Facility with Voyager cataloging and circulation modules.
- Familiarity working with vendors and service providers in a library or institutional environment.
- Fluency in reading and interpreting MARC records.
- Facility with editing LibGuides.
- Working knowledge of the Drupal content management system.
- Coursework in music history, world music, performance, or musical theater.
- Knowledge of music authoring software.
- Reading knowledge of German, French, or Italian.