Reporting to the Head, Rare Book Team, and working in close collaboration with the Ward Music Cataloger in Houghton Library, this position will survey the Harvard Library’s sheet music and catalog a subset of that material in order to design a well-informed workflow for future cataloging of the entire collection.
This is a 6 month term position ending no later than June 30, 2016.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Searches across individual libraries for sheet music holdings; makes site visits when needed
- Describes sheet music using a predefined set of tags in an Excel spreadsheet
- Helps identify a subset of materials for testing cataloging workflows
- Performs cataloging of sheet music, both creating MARC records for individual pieces and EAD finding aids for aggregated collections
- Keeps metrics
- Assists in the creation of workflow documentation
- BA and MLIS required.
- One to two years of cataloging experience required.
- Solid working knowledge of MARC21.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current national cataloging standards and practices (RDA, LCSH, LCGFT, AAT, etc.) Proficiency with Excel and demonstrated experience in working in an online cataloging library system.
- Knowledge of Europe and American history.
- Ability to read music.
- Knowledge of music cataloging.
- Knowledge of book history and bibliography.
- Experience using OCLC’s Connexion client.
- Experience working in Aleph.
- Solid working knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
- Knowledge and experience creating EAD finding aids.
Must be able to work independently. Logical and enthusiastic approach to work; careful attention to detail; initiative and follow-through. Strong written, verbal, and listening skills. Ability to learn new tasks quickly and accurately and work well with others in a team-based environment . A commitment to a strong and dedicated learning organization that prizes initiative, creativity, professionalism, and teamwork.
Please note this is a 6 month term position ending no later than June 30, 2016.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job involves moving and lifting heavy cartons up to 40 pounds, and significant time spent at computer keyboard. The employee will be exposed to library-related allergens (dust and mold).
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work associated with this position is performed in an office setting.