Reports to: Manager of Summer Programs
Status: Temporary Part-Time
The Curtis Institute of Music (Philadelphia) educates and trains exceptionally gifted young musicians for careers as performing artists on the highest professional level. The John de Lancie library is located in the Milton L. Rock Resource Center and the orchestra library is located in Lenfest Hall at Curtis. The library holds more than eighty thousand music scores, books, and recordings for study and performance. In addition, the library collects and archives manuscripts, gifts of music, and memorabilia of Curtis and people associated with it.
During the summer, Curtis opens its doors to provide musician and music lovers of all ages, the opportunity to explore classical music and experience the Curtis Institute of Music’s “learn by doing” philosophy. Summerfest offerings include the Chamber Music and Orchestra for Adults, the intensive Jeffrey Khaner Flute Class and newly expanded Young Artist program with specific focus on Voice and Collaborative Piano, as well as instrumental, conducting, composition and piano Summer Program.
Curtis Summerfest is staffed with two full-time staff members, residential director for Curtis Summerfest (RDCS) and student workers and is part of the Department of Performance Studies (DoPS). Under the supervision of the orchestra librarian (OL), director of music library information resources (DMLIR),and manager of summer programs (MSP), the orchestra library assistant for Curtis Summerfest will handle a variety of duties and work with many individuals/entities including summer program faculty and participants, the RDCS, and student workers. This position does not include benefits. Responsibility should be fulfilled within approximately 10 hours a week with the exception of program dates (Chamber Music and Orchestra for Adults from May 21 – 25 and the Young Artist Summer Program from July 19 – August 8) where hourly requirements may increase to 30 – 35 hours a week.
- Work with orchestra librarian to ensure there are enough parts; provide parts and scores sufficiently in advance to appropriate staff, faculty, and participants, and coordinate rentals or loans as needed. Assist with photocopying of music throughout program, when needed.
- Acquire, prepare and distribute materials and consult conductors and faculty for edition and bowing preferences. Ensure that bowings, rehearsal letters/numbers, and measure numbers are compatible between the conductor’s score and players’ parts.
- Assemble and arrange music in orchestra folders and provide electronic copies for distribution as directed.
- With the MSP, coordinate the usage of music from the Curtis library, orchestra library, and IMSLP as needed.
- Share responsibility for organizing and staffing the Curtis Summerfest library and implement seamless and customer-focused operations. The office responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- respond to correspondence to the Office of Summer Programs with prompt follow-up with inquiries from registered participants by email and/or by phone regarding music.
- ensure timely and regular organized document collection.
- post information accurately, timely and in a readily available fashion.
- Communicate concerns and/or observations directly to MSP in an effort to improve the summer-program experience at Curtis from the registration process to program attendance to post-program feedback.
- Along with the MSP, upload parts to the Curtis Summerfest website (WordPress).
- Participate in coverage including rehearsals and concerts, as needed.
- Experience in music librarianship, preferably in a higher education institution.
- Ability to read music.
- Familiarity with a variety of chamber and orchestral music.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills to provide services to diverse participants.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
- Understanding of summer program atmosphere preferred.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Essential functions of the job are required on occasional evenings and weekends, as dictated by the Curtis Summerfest schedule. Able to lift up to 30 pounds of music.