The Music Library Associate provides public service to library patrons, including reference assistance and circulation of materials and equipment; hires, trains, and supervises student employees; and assists in preparing new library materials for circulation. The Music Library Associate assumes leadership of the Music Library in the Music Library Head’s absence.
Student Employee Supervision
- Hires and schedules approximately 16 student employees.
- Establishes, implements, and models service standards for student employees, and ensures on-time arrival for shifts.
- Provides in-depth training in the use of the Voyager integrated library system, customer service, audio/visual equipment use and maintenance, basic computer/printer/multi-function copier troubleshooting, fine/fee collection, stack maintenance, proper handling of library materials, basic reference, and general library information.
- Approves student employee time submissions in BannerWeb and produces biweekly student employee pay reports using Microsoft Excel.
- Evaluates and promotes student employees in consultation with Music Library Head.
Managing Music Library Collections
- Prepares new library materials for circulation by creating call number labels and changing the items’ status in the online Voyager circulation module. Also creates labels for CD and DVD storage envelopes.
- Reinforces bindings of new music scores using commercial products; sews scores into pamphlet bindings as needed and/or trains a student employee to perform these tasks.
- Receives and responds to interlibrary loan and call-slip requests forwarded from Boatwright Library staff; retrieves requested materials from the collection, evaluating their suitability for loan; arranges delivery of requested materials to Boatwright Library.
- Using established criteria, sends loose journal issues to the Boatwright Library Serials Dept. for binding.
- Reshelves library materials as needed; straightens and tidies stacks.Evaluates physical condition of library materials, including compact discs and jewel cases, cleaning and mending as needed. Alerts Music Library Head when items are in need of replacement.
- Provides information assistance, including answering research queries and instructing patrons in the use of library databases and catalogs; logs reference requests; checks out library materials and equipment to borrowers; collects fines and fees, determining when extenuating circumstances may apply; places holds and recalls using the Voyager circulation system. Follows through on patron inquiries if they cannot be resolved by student employees.
- Retrieves, labels, and logs books, scores, and audio/video recordings that faculty request for onsite course reserve, using Microsoft Word and online Voyager circulation module.
- Uses e-mail to notify music faculty of new acquisitions in their areas of interest.
- Works with the Music Library Head to publicize library resources and services through on-campus digital signage, blog posts, and other mass communication platforms.
- Monitors and troubleshoots public-use equipment including desktop computers, audio/video equipment (CD, DVD, audio cassette, videocassette, and laser disc players; LP turntable), printer, multi-function copier, circulating laptops, iPads, digital audio recorders, and microform reader. Contacts Information Services, Printing Services, or outside vendors, as appropriate, for help with advanced problems.
- Performs periodic Microsoft updates on shared staff and public computers.
Daily Operations, Statistical Reporting
- Opens the library for weekday operations, including emptying outside return boxes and checking in their contents; counting petty cash; and starting public computers, printer, and multi-function copier, ensuring that they are ready for patrons’ use.
- Uses online Voyager reporting module to generate patron notices for overdue materials, fines and fees, recalled items, and holds; uses online Voyager reporting module to produce monthly statistical reports and logs of exceptional circulation transactions; uses online Voyager circulation module and Microsoft Excel to prepare monthly patron billing for fines, fees, and replacement charges.
- Maintains library supplies by monitoring existing inventory, researching vendors and products, placing orders, tracking shipping, and unpacking/restocking materials.
- Opens and distributes mail and other deliveries.
- Conducts Music Library tours for University and external groups and individuals.
- Monitors general condition of the Music Library facility, reporting malfunctions or maintenance issues to appropriate University staff.
- In consultation with the Music Library Head, participates in professional development activities.
- Participates in special projects as directed by the Music Library Head.
- Ability to read music
- Thorough knowledge of Western music history and repertoire
- General knowledge of non-Western, jazz, and popular music
- Working knowledge of library principles and procedures
- Strong commitment to library public/customer service
- Familiarity with academic libraries
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Windows; ability to learn specialized library software
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree with substantial coursework in music
- Supervisory experience, including training of employees
- One to two years of relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Monday – Friday, 7:30-4:00; 7.75 hrs. /day; 38.75 hrs. /week