The Mahanaim School is a post-secondary academic institution located in Huntington, New York, which offers non-degree programs in Music Performance, Theology and ESL under BPSS(Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision). Now preparing proposal for degree-granting status for music program. Huntington, regarded as a commercial and cultural hub of Long Island, is easily accessible by train to New York City. The Music Library supports the mission and educational objectives of the Mahanaim School, thereby cultivating the musical growth and development of its student body. The focus of the Library’s growing print, media and online collections are based in Western classical music. The library staff includes a part-time professional librarian, and student assistants.
This is a part-time (20 hours per week) position. The Music Librarian is responsible for all aspects of the operation of the Music Library. This includes circulation, reserves, collection management, cataloging, e-resource management, and bindery in conformity with Mahanaim Library policy. It also includes staff and student supervision, team participation and project management, campus liaison work, and participation in professional development.
- Provides all levels of reference service, particularly those questions beyond the abilities of the student staff;
- Provides original and copy cataloging on OCLC for print and media materials, to be included in the local online catalog; revises existing catalog data as needed; trains and supervises student employees in pre-cataloging and processing.
- Performs collection development and serves as selection liaison to Mahanaim teaching faculty and students
- Provides bibliographic instruction in the form of in-class presentations, individual sessions, or class visits to the Music Library
- Compiles relevant bibliographies and guides
- Contributes content to the Mahanaim School library web pages
- Advises on issues of binding, preservation and organization
- Responsible for the library blog and postings on Facebook and other social media
- Communicates with IT staff to maintain and update Music Library AV equipment and technology
- Teach introductory library session for first year students
- Teach two levels of English Composition course with integrated information literacy component
- Assists with Music Library displays
- ALA-accredited M.L.S. or M.L.I.S
- Undergraduate degree in music
- 1-2 years of music library experience. This can include student library work experience
- 1-2 years of teaching information literacy topics in a formal class setting
- Excellent Internet and online database searching skills
- Strong interpersonal oral, written and online communications skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to work with a diverse faculty, staff and students
- Reference and instructional skills in order to perform reference services and teach library and information literacy skills, including the development and delivery of instructional materials to students and faculty and staff.
- Provide basic library reference services including interlibrary loan and document delivery services.
- Experience in the use of OCLC Interlibrary Loan.
- Experience in the use of an Integrated Library System
- Knowledge of international codes and standards for cataloging, LC subject headings and the use of authority files
- Experience working on both Macintosh and PC computers
- Experience with regional and statewide library consortiums
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications