Position Focus: The Music Librarian for Access Services provides leadership for all aspects of access services including circulation, course reserves (including streaming services), resource sharing, collection maintenance, privileges, and security and knowledge essential to create and maintain web-deliverable information that supports existing public services and develops service innovations utilizing technologies and customer service expertise. Reporting to the Director of the Music Library, the Music Librarian works in a distributed and innovative environment with librarians as well as technology, course support, and preservation experts both within the Music Library and other departments across campus. The Music Librarian also provides public services using a wide range of resources, including databases, superb paper-based collections, and instructional and information technologies. Specific assignments will be established with the Director of the Music Library, through periodic goal setting and reviews, and may involve a broad range of duties.
Responsibilities: Responsible for all areas of Access Services, with particular focus on course reserves and related streaming services. Supervises Circulation Supervisor and student desk staff. Develops and offers services for providing digital access to resources in the Music Library as part of Yale University’s Digital Collections, working closely with staff in cataloging, systems, electronic collections and instruction, representing the public services perspective. Creates online instructional and research guides. Maintains the Music Library web site, including facilitating design and content planning in coordination with other Music librarians and staff. Instructs and supports researchers and staff in the use of technologies. Assists with collection development and liaison-related duties as assigned. Works closely with public services staff in Music Library, providing outreach to School of Music, Department of Music and the Institute for Sacred Music. Participates in the Yale University Library’s Personal Librarian Program. Participates in library planning committees and task forces and engages in campus, regional, and national professional organizations.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- ALA-accredited masters of Library Science and an advanced degree in music.
- Minimum of two years experience working in an academic music library setting .
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications and analytical ability.
- Demonstrated ability with public services.
- Demonstrated ability supervising staff and managing services.
- Demonstrated ability with management of digital resources, including websites, streamed audio services, Libguides.
- Reading knowledge of two or more Western European languages
- Experience with Drupal, HTML and XML.
- Demonstrated record of designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
- Experience working collegially and cooperatively within and across organizations.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment.