The Music Librarian provides musical materials for main-stage Houston Grand Opera, Houston Grand Opera Studio, and HGOco events.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Sources and provides musical material needed by Houston Grand Opera
- Works as liaison with Head of Music Staff, Music Director and visiting conductors to produce edited vocal and orchestral material for each production;
- Works with Music Administrator to provide accurate personnel needs for orchestra;
- Attends all orchestral rehearsals and performances;
- Acts as liaison between Conductor and Production Stage Manager during on-stage orchestra rehearsals;
- Provides an information service to patrons, the company and other libraries; and
- Organizes and maintains the active music and recording collection of Houston Grand Opera, and maintains a running inventory of these holdings.
Special Job Characteristics
Applicant must be able to work evenings and weekends.
Education and/or Experience
Candidate should possess a Master of Music degree or equivalent professional experience in a music library setting; mastery of Finale and Sibelius; and familiarity with the standard musical databases and bibliographic resources. Additionally, candidate should possess previous experience as a music librarian; excellent research skills, copying techniques, verbal and written communication skills, and organizational skills.