reference and instructional support for the users of the Music
Library. With the help of an evening circulation assistant and several
student assistants maintains the circulation, reserve, and computer
services provided in the Music Library. Responsible for the selection,
processing, and cataloging of Music Library materials. Works with the
Library Director to select and acquire music and theatre materials, in
all formats, for the main library collection.
1. Collects and fills faculty requests for library materials.
2. Selects materials to support the Music and Theater Department curriculum using appropriate subject review resources.
3. Orders music books and journals from the Library budget.
4. Orders scores, CD’s and videos through the Music Department Budget.
5. Works with the Library Director to select and contract for music services and databases.
music books for the main library are generally cataloged by main
library staff, Music Library reference materials are cataloged by the
2. Catalogs all CD’s, DVD’s, and music scores added
to the collection. CD’s and DVD’s are classified by accession number,
scores and miniature scores are classified in the Library of Congress
classification system, while main library books are classified in the
3. Supervises the physical processing of all music materials by the music library assistant.
1. Develop music library circulation policies consistent with main library policies.
2. Sends music scores to the main library for OhioLINK circulation and to fulfill interlibrary loan requests.
3. Handles all overdues and fines and maintains patron records on the circulation system.
D. Reference and Instruction
1. Provides assistance to students and faculty in the use of information resources, both print and electronic.
2. Provides instruction in the use of information resources both in individual user consultation and in classroom settings.
specialized information searches for students and faculty when the
assistance of an information intermediary is required.
1. Trains, supervises and evaluates the evening circulation assistant.
2. Supervises student assistants who are employed in the Music Library.
1. Works with main library staff to coordinate library policies and procedures.
2. Supplies and equipment are ordered and maintained in consultation with the Library Director and the Music Department.
A. Working Hours
1. This is a ten hour per week position during the academic year.
specific work schedule is established each term in consultation with
the Library Director and the Chair of the Music Department.
1. A Masters degree in Library Science from a library school accredited by the American Library Association is required.
2. An undergraduate degree or higher in an appropriate music related field is preferred but not required.
will be given to any other post-graduate education or appropriate
undergraduate course work relevant to the music library field.
least two years of professional library experience, preferably
including reference, instruction, cataloging or music library
2. Experience in an academic library is preferred but not required.
3. Familiarity with computer systems and library automation systems is required.