Job Title: Music Cataloging and Metadata Associate
Official Title: Library Production Associate
Position Number: 00011491
Requisition Number: 153485
Department: University Library-Gen – 141000
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8 am-5 pm
Pay Rate: Salary commensurate with experience
Pay Basis: Monthly
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
A wide range of student- and faculty-centered services are the cornerstone of the Libraries’ integral role in the University of North Texas community. As the most-used service on campus and an essential component of education and research at the University of North Texas, the Libraries offer access to more than 6 million items (print and digital) along with expert personnel to assist patrons in achieving their academic and scholarly goals. We provide innovative programs and support to enhance the relationship between teaching and learning at the University of North Texas.
One of the largest academic music libraries in the U.S., the UNT Music Library supports the scholarly and performance research needs of the College of Music by collecting, cataloging, and preserving monographs, reference works, periodicals, printed music and sound recording formats, as well as subscribing to electronic databases for research and streaming music. Special collections are a particular strength of the Music Library’s holdings, emphasizing the many genres classified under Western art music and jazz, but also popular music and various sub-genres. Ten full-time and around thirty part-time staff also provide reference and access services, ensuring that the College of Music and all outside researchers are able to locate and access music materials.
The University of North Texas Libraries is seeking to hire a Library Production Associate to join our Music Library team. The Library Production Associate will provide Senior-level paraprofessional support for the Music Library.
* Catalog music materials and provide bibliographic control and maintenance of Music Library catalogs and collections
* Assist with evaluating current metadata and cataloging guidelines used by the Music Library
* Recommend changes in local practice and revisions of local manuals when appropriate
* Collaborate with professional staff to implement goals, objectives, policies, and procedures relevant to music cataloging and metadata
* Train, supervise and schedule cataloging and metadata student assistants
* Staff the Music Services Desk and Sandborn Music Reading Room, in rotation with other Music Library staff
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree and one year of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Extensive knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of specialized area functions and workflows.
* Experience in working effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
* Ability to utilize multiple computer applications toward increased productivity in a rapidly changing environment.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures and security measures related to work performed.
* Bachelor’s degree or higher in Music, or a substantial formal music education.
* Demonstrated knowledge of Western European music and of music reference sources.
* Reading knowledge of one or more Western European languages in addition to English, preferably German, French, or Italian.
* Previous experience working in a library, preferably in music.
* Previous experience working with RDA, LC-PCC Policy Statements, LCSH, LCMPT, LCGFT, and the Library of Congress Classification system.
* Familiarity with AACR2 to the extent necessary to edit records created using that code.
* Supervisory skills.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.