Position Number: 401130
Requisition Number: F296
Job Title: Music and Media Cataloging Librarian, Tenure-Track Faculty
Department: Library Collection Development and Management
MTSU seeks candidates who are committed to innovative teaching, robust research/creative activity and meaningful service. We also seek to attract a culturally and academically diverse faculty who value working with a diverse student body.
MTSU’s Walker Library invites applicants for a 12-month, tenure-track faculty position (#401130) at the assistant/associate professor level in Collection Development and Management. Start date for this position is July 1, 2018.
The position is a member of the cataloging unit and is responsible for providing bibliographic access to music and media formats. Other formats are included as part of the overall cataloging responsibilities. The library is a member of BIBCO and the Tennessee NACO Funnel.
Candidates should have demonstrated ability to manage time effectively, balance multiple responsibilities, and adjust accordingly to changing priorities, needs, and deadlines. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a team environment.
Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary as well as proficiency with office and computer skills, including Microsoft Office or similar.
– Perform original and complex copy cataloging and classification of music scores, media materials, and other resources in monographic and serial forms in accordance with RDA, AACR2R, LCSH, LCC, and DDC;
– Applies music theory and practice to subject analysis and classification
– Maintain authority records and perform needed authority work including creating and editing authority records.
– Contribute BIBCO and NACO records.
– Provide database maintenance and problem solving.
– Work closely with Visual and Performing Arts Librarian to establish and refine policies and procedures.
– Serve as resource for questions and problems related to ILS.
– Work closely with cataloging colleagues to refine local procedures and establish policies.
– Work closely with other library departments and/or sub-units as needed.
– Develop and maintain knowledge of emerging cataloging theory and practice, particularly in the area of music access.
– Serve on university and library committees as appropriate.
– Participate as appropriate in local, regional, and national associations.
– Perform other duties as applicable.
– Engage in research required for promotion and tenure.
The successful candidate will be expected to have the ability to identify problems related to cataloging and devising solutions; be proficient in RDA, AACR2R, MARC, LCSH, LCC or DDC; and have the ability to meet the requirements of scholarship, service and librarianship of a tenure-track faculty position.
ALA accredited master’s degree in Library or Information Science, or its international equivalent. A Bachelor’s degree in Music (or substantial undergraduate/graduate coursework in Music) is also required.
Required Related Experience
Minimum of one year, post-MLS experience cataloging music and media formats in an academic library or other relevant environment.
Applicants with BIBCO and NACO experience, cataloging knowledge of one or more foreign languages, or experience with metadata schema such as Dublin Core, EAD, METS, or MODS will receive special consideration.
Salary and Benefits
Rank and salary commensurate with education and experience. Additionally, MTSU provides its employees with a comprehensive benefits package that includes the following:
• Health, dental, vision and life insurance as well as several other optional benefit plans
• Retirement savings programs that include your choice of two plans as well as three deferred compensation savings plans
• An Employee Assistance Program
• Educational Assistance Programs
• Sick leave