Job Title: Music Access Services Associate
Official Title: Library Services Associate
Position Number: 00011490
Requisition Number: 153486
Department: University Library-Gen – 141000
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8 am-5 pm
Pay Rate: Salary commensurate with experience
Pay Basis: Monthly
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
A wide range of student- and faculty-centered services are the cornerstone of the Libraries’ integral role in the University of North Texas community. As the most-used service on campus and an essential component of education and research at the University of North Texas, the Libraries offer access to more than 6 million items (print and digital) along with expert personnel to assist patrons in achieving their academic and scholarly goals. We provide innovative programs and support to enhance the relationship between teaching and learning at the University of North Texas.
One of the largest academic music libraries in the U.S., the UNT Music Library supports the scholarly and performance research needs of the College of Music by collecting, cataloging, and preserving monographs, reference works, periodicals, printed music and sound recording formats, as well as subscribing to electronic databases for research and streaming music. Special collections are a particular strength of the Music Library’s holdings, emphasizing the many genres classified under Western art music and jazz, but also popular music and various sub-genres. Ten full-time and around thirty part-time staff also provide reference and access services, ensuring that the College of Music and all outside researchers are able to locate and access music materials.
The University Library Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Music Access Services Associate to join our team.
The Music Access Services Associate will provide supervision and oversight to all access services for the Music Library. The position will be responsible for developing and managing all operations and workflows for the area, operating at a high level of independence.
* Staffing the Music Services Desk
* Training and supervision of student assistants
* Circulation of music materials
* Shelving and stacks management
* Overseeing reserves for books, scores, and audio materials
* First-line music reference
* Music public services and outreach activities
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree and one year of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Extensive knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of specialized area functions and workflows.
* Experience in working effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
* Ability to utilize multiple computer applications toward increased productivity in a rapidly changing environment.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures and security measures related to work performed.
* Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Music, or substantial formal music education.
* Reading knowledge of one or more Western European languages in addition to English, preferably German, French, or Italian.
* Demonstrated knowledge of Western European music literature.
* Demonstrated knowledge of basic library practices and procedures, including Sierra and music reference sources.
* Supervisory skills.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.