To provide public services for the Music Library. The Library Supervisor (evening position) serves as supervisor of Student Library Assistants and the facility during evenings and on Sundays; offers circulation and reference assistance to patrons during those times; provides computer and technical support for the branch; maintains the branch’s website; processes new materials and manages processing/transfer/damaged item issues; prepares periodical shipments for the bindery; catalogs School of Music performance CDs, and does copy cataloging as needed. This position has broad responsibilities and a high level of autonomy; the evening supervisor oversees operations of the branch library in the absence of other faculty and staff for 28 hours each week.
Responsibilities / Duties
Evening / Weekend Supervisor / Reference / Public Service
• During evenings and Sundays, supervise Music Library circulation activities and control of materials being circulated; mediate problems with library patrons regarding fines and books charged in the computer system; serve as first point of appeal for fines and other charges (damaged books, etc.). Assist in determining library policies and procedures and interpreting them to patrons. Refer unresolved problems to day supervisor.
• Provide back-up processing for reserve materials.
• Supervise Student Employees.
• In cooperation with the day supervisor, interview and hire student staff:
1. Supervise student library assistants (SLAs) during evening hours.
2. Supervise operation, revisions, and SLAs who input indexing data for the UT Song Index and Analysis Index.
3. Supervise student cleaning of facilities and equipment on Sundays.
4. Supervise SLAs doing pre-order bibliographic verification of music scores and recordings in online catalog, acquisition system order records, and OCLC or other databases.
• Provide in-depth catalog assistance to help users in locating music materials.
• Provide reference assistance to users, in person and via e-mail, chat, and telephone, locating specialized music information and instructing in its use.
• Provide instruction on finding and using electronic resources (local and remote databases, systems, and catalogs).
Computer and Equipment Technical Support
• Provide technical assistance for users and branch staff regarding use of electronic resources, including:
1. Trouble-shooting computer equipment problems;
2. Advising librarians on technical issues and problems;
3. Performing regular maintenance and software updates for 8 public laptops and 6 staff workstations.
4. Acting as liaison with staff in other library units to identify needs, plan training, and seek solutions to computer-related problems in the Libraries;
• Create and maintain branch library web site; develop and maintain instructional materials to guide patrons in using electronic and physical library resources.
• Conduct or contribute to library-wide training related to technology.
• Check-in and process all new branch library materials.
• Handle transfers and withdrawals; under librarian supervision, implement summer transfers to storage and shifting of collections.
• Identify collection items having cataloging or classification problems and send to appropriate staff for correction.
• Responsible for current periodicals collection including branch binding shipments.
• Use cataloging template in Aleph to add records for School of Music concerts and recitals.
• Copy catalog gift items as needed.
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Ability to work well with the public.
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to pay attention to detail.
• Ability to work with little supervision and within a team framework.
• Knowledge of standard computer word processing, e-mail, and office software.
• Willing to take or audit Music 501, Music Bibliography.
• Knowledge of both Macintosh and Windows-based computers and web design software.
• Supervisory skills.
• Knowledge of copy cataloging procedures.
• Course or experience in music and the ability to read music.
Pay Grade: 36
Primary Location: US-Tennessee-knoxville
Job Posting: Aug 8, 2017, 8:35:54 AM