The Cleveland Institute of Music (www.cim.edu) is an independent music conservatory offering degrees through the doctoral level. CIM also provides high quality music instruction to the community through its Preparatory and Continuing Education Division. The Institute is located in the artistic heart of the city: a five-minute walk from Severance Hall (home of the Cleveland Orchestra) and the Cleveland Museum of Art, and near many of the city’s major theater and music activities. Robinson Music Library creates a nurturing environment for the study of music, supporting the educational objectives of the Cleveland Institute of Music and fostering students’ musical growth and development. The Library has a shared online catalog with Case Western Reserve University libraries and is connected to the University’s campus network. Robinson Music Library maintains an excellent relationship with CWRU’s music library, in support of the Joint Music Program. The CIM library has 5 professional librarians including the director, and 4 paraprofessionals. More information about the Library is available at http://www.cim.edu/library/index.php
Job Summary: The Library Director provides leadership and vision for the Library. This leadership is shaped and guided by the curriculum and goals of CIM and by current developments and trends in academic music librarianship, information technology, music scholarship, and music publishing. This is a full-time (35 hours per week) position. All full-time library staff members report directly to the Library Director. The Library Director reports to the Chief Academic Officer.
- Hires and maintains personnel records for all library staff. Oversees a staff of 5 FT and 3 PT employees plus 35-40 work study students, including approving time sheets. Directly supervises, schedules, and evaluates 5 fulltime staff members.
- Administers the library budget, including submitting annual budget requests and capital expenditures proposals
- Analyzes data in order to evaluate library operations and services and plan new programs.
- Manages the Library’s facilities to optimize services and operations.
- Works closely with the public services librarians creating and revising content for the library website and planning and organizing library instruction.
- Works closely with the Acquisitions Librarian on collection management.
- Writes the library’s self-studies and creates and updates the Library Resource LibGuide in preparation for accreditations.
- Acts as the contact person for CIM administration, other CIM department heads, CWRU music faculty, CWRU University Libraries and other University Circle libraries.
- Coordinates closely with the music librarian at CWRU (Kulas Music Library).
- Works closely with the Directors of Information Technology, Recording Services, and Distance Learning.
- ALA-accredited M.L.S or M.L.I.S.
- Undergraduate degree in music
- Minimum 5 years of senior administrative responsibility in a music library.
- Ability to manage staff and foster excellence.
- Working experience with budget management and evaluating services and collections.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty and staff.
- Work experience with an integrated library system, especially Innovative Interfaces Incorporated’s Sierra.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong writing skills, and enthusiasm for learning and applying new technologies in an academic environment.
- Strong service orientation, and ability to work collegially and collaboratively.
- Knowledge of copyright regulations.
- Second Master’s degree in music or related subject area.
- Demonstrated success in managing a multi-generational workforce.
- Experience working with statewide library consortiums.
- Experience in negotiating library contracts.
- Library grant-writing experience.
- Experience with academic library accreditation.