library materials in a variety of formats using appropriate national
standards, such as AACR2, RDA, MARC, LC Subject Headings, and LC
Classification. Uses software such as OCLC Connexion and Voyager
Integrated Library System. Ensures that metadata fully enriched the
catalog records. Assists the Coordinator of Metadata and Cataloging
Services in overall bibliographic management of library resources and
authority control. Creates bibliographic records to be contributed to
WorldCat international database. Stays current with trends and
developments in cataloging and metadata. Provides leadership in adopting
new technologies and assists with documentation of department
procedures to ensure best practice.
duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations
of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of
specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if
the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
books, musical scores, sound recordings, mixed media materials,
archival materials, video recordings, electronic resources, computer
software, non-published materials, and other materials as assigned.
original and adapts existing full descriptive cataloging records
according to national and international cataloging standards.
- Creates and inputs MARC descriptive fields for cataloged library resources according to international cataloging standards.
- Responsible for creation and maintenance of non-MARC metadata.
- Assists with maintaining the bibliographic integrity of the library online catalog.
Library of Congress classification and Dewey Decimal classification
schedules and tables to formulate and assign unique classification
numbers for separately cataloged works.
- Participates in
considering future issues affecting the library’s intellectual
organization of information such as the application of metadata analysis
to the library’s digital repositories.
- Establishes and
verifies catalog name, title, name-title, and subject entries, searching
OCLC and Library of Congress authorities databases.
- Maintains headings in authority file and on bibliographic records in Voyager.
as a subject liaison for promotion and outreach of library services and
resources for assigned academic departments and/or subject areas.
- Assists Coordinator of Metadata and Cataloging Services with documentation of procedures and distribution to MCS staff.
- Participates in quarterly review of department guidelines and provides professional input.
- Maintains a working knowledge of existing and emerging metadata standards, schemas and best practices.
- Maintains knowledge of and engages in the efforts to promote scholarly access to digital repositories.
- Maintains knowledge of current issues in academic librarianship.
- Serves on library, university, and professional committees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Academic library experience in cataloging. Working experience with
Voyager Library Information System. Experience providing effective
bibliographic description of a diverse variety of materials, both print
and online. Working experience with staff-side functions of an
integrated library system. Experience with OCLC Connexion. Experience
with collection management in assigned subject areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated in-depth understanding of: MARC21 bibliographic format; LC
cataloging policies and procedures; LC classification schedules and
practices; LC subject headings; current cataloging rules. Evidence of
strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills. Ability
to follow technical instructions and to resolve bibliographic problems.
Must work with accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to work
cooperatively with faculty, staff, and students. Commitment to
professional involvement and continuing education. Ability to work
independently and collaboratively in teams and in a changing
Preferred: Proficient knowledge of cataloging duties
using an integrated library system. Demonstrated planning, problem
solving, analytical, management and leadership skills. Strong customer
service orientation. Knowledge of next-generation search platforms.
Competency with MS Outlook and other MS Office suite of applications.