The Indiana University Bloomington Libraries seek a creative and enthusiastic individual to lead the Public Services of the William and Gayle Cook Music Library. The Head of Public Services and Outreach will coordinate the Cook Library’s reference services, the development, delivery, and assessment of information literacy and related teaching and learning activities, and oversee the work of the Circulation and Reserves Department. This is a tenure-track position reporting to the Director of the Cook Music Library.
Oversee and coordinate the Cook Library’s Public Services, which include:
Teaching and Learning:
- Creating and designing instructional materials in traditional and new formats.
- Leading the Information Fluency activities as required for the Jacobs School of Music curriculum.
- Collaborate with and consult with the IU Libraries’ Teaching and Learning Department on the development of and oversight of the Cook Music Library’s instructional services, information literacy programs, and library services and spaces in support of student learning.
- Assisting faculty in the use and development of the libraries’ presence in the university-wide learning management system. Actively engaging with faculty, instructors, and other IUB librarians as partners in programmatic integration of information literacy concepts and skills into the undergraduate and graduate curricula.
- Providing leadership within the Libraries regarding teaching, assessment, and improving student learning.
- Participating in academic fairs, programs, presentations, or other campus activities related to student engagement and support.
- Evaluating and assessing instructional programs, services, resources, and products.
- Providing in-person, phone, mail, and online (chat, email, web) reference service.
- Overseeing and training a team of Music Library staff members working at the desk.
- Coordinate with the IU Libraries’ Reference Services Department and Assessment Librarian to insure effective data and statistics collection for use in reporting, studies, and evaluation of services.
Circulation and Reserves:
- Overseeing and training a team that coordinates all circulation and reserve functions, including student hiring/firing, reserves processing, stacks maintenance/shelving, access digitization.
- Maintain the Cook Music Library’s website and related online finding aids and materials.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree and bachelor’s degree in Music required; master’s degree in Music preferred.
- A minimum of three years of professional experience providing and/or coordinating music reference services.
- Experience in providing library instruction and/or with information literacy programs in a research library setting.
- Supervisory and project management experience and demonstrated ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience in collaboration with information technology and/or instructional technology units.
- Ability to work in a team environment and build working relationships with campus colleagues.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations.
- Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track librarian position.