The Head, Music and Media leads one of the eleven departments of the Missouri State University Libraries and is responsible for collection development, reference, and outreach for the Music and Media collections. The Head, Music and Media provides leadership and support for copy services and microforms collections and services and outreach to student and faculty groups in support of innovative teaching, research, and service.
Description of Primary Duties
● Provide vision and leadership related to planning, delivering, and assessing the services and resources managed by this department.
● Work in a team environment to meet the current and future information needs of a growing, diverse, inclusive university community during an era of rapid changes in information technologies, networked computing, and user needs, preferences, and expectations.
● Manage and deploy human, fiscal, equipment, spatial, and other resources in effective, efficient, and inspired ways.
● Lead a department noted for excellence, responsiveness, and effectiveness in support of the teaching, learning, research, and service activities of the university community and the region.
● Focus and facilitate the ongoing efforts of the library faculty and staff to explore, assess, and implement new models of information delivery and use, both by end-users and by service providers.
● Develop and manage collections and information resources that support the basic departmental functions.
● Provide reference services within the department, as well as minimal reference assistance for other areas on the Lower Level of Duane G. Meyer Library, including Maps.
● Expand and enhance services for online learners, teachers, and researchers.
● Collaborate effectively with library faculty, library staff, library administration, and other campus constituencies to plan, implement, and assess programs and services.
● Lead by example in establishing workloads and procedures, delegating responsibility, providing guidance and direction, and monitoring and evaluating performance in accordance with university policies and procedures.
● Serve on various committees, task forces, and working groups in the MSU Libraries, the university, the community, the region, the state, and the profession.
● Remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Dean of Library Services.
● Contribute to the overall success of the Missouri State University Libraries by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
Education: A Masters in Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program or a graduate degree in musicology or a related discipline is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience working in an academic library is required.
Skills: A basic subject background in music, including a working knowledge in reading musical scores is required. Strong leadership skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others are required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to thrive in a complex, changing environment with competing demands are required. The ability to plan, introduce, and manage change is required. A demonstrated commitment to providing quality services to diverse members of the campus and broader communities is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.