The Chancellor of Rutgers University–Newark seeks a newly minted Executive Director to lead all aspects of its world-renowned Institute of Jazz Studies (IJS). The Executive Director will be an experienced leader, fundraiser, and visionary committed to the IJS mission. The Executive Director will be appointed at the rank of Assistant Professor of Professional Practice, which reports directly to the Chancellor in consultation with the Chair of the Department of Arts, Culture and Media (ACM). H/She may teach in and engage with the nationally distinguished Master of Arts in Jazz History program and faculty and have an opportunity to work with other academic programs in Arts and Sciences.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Supervising the IJS Director of Operations (DO) with the Dana Library Director, and working closely with the DO to oversee a staff of six full-time distinguished professionals and archival team, including an associate director, archivists, a collections manager, a digital library applications developer, and reference associates
- Producing outstanding, engaged and immersive jazz programming that emphasizes ongoing interaction among a diverse, robust, multi-cultural and multi-generational community of artists, educators, students and enthusiasts
- Developing strategies and plans for generating support for and sustainability of IJS’s acclaimed jazz education programs and world class archives, including donor events, fundraising activities, and cultivation of prospects
- Building strong partnerships and collaborations with a number of anchor institutions in the greater Newark metropolitan area aimed at leveraging the assets that each partner brings to the table to create a vibrant arts and cultural corridor in Newark
- Creating opportunities to study the performance practices and rich cultural legacy of jazz, evidencing both teaching and administrative abilities in working within the institution with faculty, staff and students, and with key partners, stakeholders and audiences beyond the campus