AMDA College and Conservatory of the Performing Arts, with campuses in Los Angeles and New York City, is one of the foremost performing arts colleges in the country. AMDA offers Bachelor of Fine Arts degree programs in Acting, Musical Theatre, Dance Theatre and Performing Arts, as well as a two-year conservatory programs.
We are currently seeking an experienced full-time Librarian for our New York Campus. The Librarian is responsible for developing and managing the library, providing guidance to the students at AMDA, and working closely with teachers. The successful candidate will be highly knowledgeable, innovative, results-oriented and strategically focused. S/he will possess excellent communications, interpersonal, and team skills.
- Provide vision and strategic direction for library services.Develop library collections through acquisitions, donations, etc.
- Perform regular inventory of library collections.
- Catalog and classify materials.
- Maintain library archive.
- Evaluate information/resources and its sources critically.
- Understand the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information/resources, and access and use information ethically and legally.
- Research consultation with students, alumni and faculty
- Maintain physical space and communicate with Facilities Department for cleaning, repair, replacement or support needs.
- Interview, hire, train, supervise and lead staff of 20-40 student staff and interns.
- Host library staff orientation meeting – each semester.
- Reformat and/or preserve materials as needed.
- Oversee repair and maintenance of library equipment in cooperation with IT Dept. including but not limited to: student computers, TV / DVD / VHS, CD / cassette, wireless network, student copy machine, student printer, headphones / splitters.
- Prepare proposed annual budget.
- Maintain library social media presence (Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.).Keep up-to-date on current library issues and maintain professional association memberships.
- Provide faculty research support – material searches, etc.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop course complementary reading and resources.
- Create and maintain curriculum specific collections (i.e. Stage Combat Collection, Dance Collection, etc.).
- Host Library tours and Open House panels.
- Perform other duties as necessary and as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library Information Studies (MLS, MLIS, MS, or MSLIS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution.
- At least 5 years experience in a Performing Arts Library or comparable.
- Experience in library management at a post-secondary institution preferred.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in learning resources, information literacy, academic support services and library technologies.
- Experience in management, budgeting and strategic planning.
- Superior organization skills.
- Ability to teach information literacy skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc).
- Knowledge of audiovisual format transfer and preservation standards and processes.
- CPR-certified preferred.
- American Library Association (ALA) membership preferred.
- New York Library Association (NYLA) membership preferred.
- Theatre Library Association (TLA) membership preferred.