The San Francisco Conservatory of Music is seeking a Library Services Director to manage all operations of our library.
Reporting to the Provost & Dean, the Library Director will assume responsibility over a collection that exceeds more than 60,000 items and includes more than 38,000 scores and parts, 15,000 audio-visual materials, 12,500 books and 77 periodical titles. The core of the score and recording collections is based in Western art music from all historical periods and includes complete editions of the works of major composers. The collection is expanding in the areas of jazz and contemporary music. The library’s book collection, while focusing on music, encompasses the arts, humanities, social sciences and sciences. All library collections are indexed in WorldCat, the Conservatory’s online catalog. The Library Director will work with the SFCM community to implement a vision for blending the current collections with digital and online resources. Regular duties include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing and managing all aspects of operations of the library, including cataloging, acquisitions, circulation, reference, budgeting, and systems management with organized input from Conservatory faculty, staff and students.
- Managing the collection profile and access based on ongoing and changing curricular needs of the Conservatory.
- Hiring and supervising all library personnel.
- Developing and implementing library programs that focus on collaborative learning, with input from staff and faculty.
- Providing advanced reference services for classes and individuals.
- Providing original and advanced copy cataloging, including name, title and subject authority work.
- Providing library instruction and research assistance to classes and individuals.
- Assisting with library-related grant proposal development and writing.
- Assessing future needs of library, in particular with respect to space usage and technology.
- Performing other duties as needed.
We are seeking applicants with the following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library & information science program.
- A degree in music.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate new technologies in meaningful ways
- A vision for the ideal music library environment in the 21st century
- Previous original and copy cataloging experience with music materials requiring knowledge of MARC 21, AARC2, LCRI, LCSH and LC Classification.
- A Strong background in cataloging of scores and recordings.
- Experience interacting with integrated library systems.
- Supervisory experience of library staff and students.
- Ability to work well with a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to manage departmental budgets.
- A willingness to collaborate with other departments within the SFCM community.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently.