The Director of Libraries’ primary responsibility is to oversee the organization and operation of the Spaulding and Firestone Libraries. This position reports to the Provost & Dean of the College.
1. Formulate and implement library policies and programs, including:
a. Develop policies for the circulation of library materials to NEC students and faculty
b. Develop and implement policy for the Conservatory’s record management program and use of archival materials
c. Develop policies for the use of library materials by non-Conservatory patrons
d. Develop and oversee reference and instructional programs for the use of library resources
2. Evaluate and select electronic databases and internet resources.
3. Oversee and coordinate all activities related to the digitization of library materials.
4. Develop budget and oversee expenditures for library’s shared automated system.
5. Serve on the Board of Directors of Fenway Libraries Online; oversee the operation and effective use of the library’s automated system shared with FLO.
6. Allocate funds for collection development.
7. Write staff position descriptions; hire, train, and supervise all library staff.
8. Conduct performance evaluations; give direction and performance feedback; recommend advancements and promotions.
9. Set department goals and establish work priorities.
10. Serve on NEC’s DMA Committee, as well as be a member of Management Team and Faculty Council.
11. Serve as the Conservatory’s representative to the Fenway Library Consortium, Boston Area Music Libraries, Massachusetts Library System and other organizations.
1. Master’s degree in Library Science required.
2. Minimum of M.M. in Musicology required; doctoral degree preferred.
3. Minimum of five years of management/supervisory experience in a library setting.
4. Thorough knowledge of automated library systems and electronic resources.
5. Extensive experience in teaching and bibliographic instruction.
6. Knowledge of the organization and administration of library archives.